A look at Greenville’s 2022 tourism for National Travel and Tourism Week
Greenville, SC is no stranger to tourists venturing from all over to experience our city, and VisitGreenvilleSC has the numbers to prove it — here’s a look at Greenville’s tourism for National Travel and Tourism Week.
Table of Contents
This week (Sunday, May 7-Saturday, May 13) is National Travel and Tourism Week, an annual celebration of US travelers and their “essential role in stimulating economic growth, cultivating vibrant communities, creating quality job opportunities, inspiring new businesses, and elevating the quality of life for Americans every day.”
Greenville is no stranger to tourists venturing from all over to experience our city, and VisitGreenvilleSC has the numbers to prove it.
- In 2022, $1.5 billion+ was spent by visitors during their time in Greenville, generating more than 34% tax revenue.
- Of the total money spent by visitors, spending on food represents 40%
- Seven million people visited Greenville in 2022 — enough to fill the Bon Secours Wellness Arena 438+ times.
- Of the seven million visitors, one million traveled through GSP, and 68% visited from out of state.
- 48,000 people are employed by the leisure and hospitality industry in the Upstate — almost 1 in every 9 jobs.
- Wages for those employees are 29% higher than they were before COVID-19.
- Countywide, hotel revenue exceeded $295 million, up 32% year-over-year, in 2022.
Just last year, Greenville was featured in 140+ stories from 39 journalists, including:
- “12 Lesser-Known Southern Destinations Our Editors Can’t Wait To Visit In 2023” | Southern Living
- “A Taco Trail Is Coming To Greenville, South Carolina” | Forbes
- “This South Carolina City Just Got a New Mountain-style Lodge” | Travel + Leisure
- “Best places to go for fall: A dozen cool spots around the world” | CNN Travel
- “25 best Christmas towns in the US for a winter getaway” TODAY
Be a tourist in your own town or be a Greenville expert for your out-of-town guests with one of VisitGreenvilleSC’s free Visitor Guides.