It’s been 20 years since Greenville launched the TD Saturday Market presented by Prisma Health.
Before we look ahead to the birthday celebrations taking place at this weekend’s market (Sat., Aug. 20), let’s throw it back to some notable events in the summer of 2003.
- “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” (yes, the book) hit the shelves
- “Finding Nemo” became the highest-grossing animated film (at the time)
- Ruben Studdard won American Idol in its second season (with fan-favorite Clay Aiken coming in second)
- Beyoncé just dropped “Crazy in Love” and her debut studio album
That first summer, about 20 vendors gathered on East Court Street downtown. The farmers market was sponsored by TD Bank (even then) + organizers say attendance was low. Four years later, word spread and the market was big enough to relocate to Main Street.
The market as we know it today features live music, children’s crafts + games, chef demonstrations, and — of course — 75+ vendors offering local produce, meat, handmade goods + more.
This weekend’s market will feature the usual family fun with these extra celebrations to mark the 20-year milestone.
- Kids’ scavenger hunt | 8 a.m.-12 p.m. | Main Street + McBee Avenue | Start at the information tent + win $1 off a Common Pops popsicle if you complete all the tasks. 🔎
- Vendor raffle | 8 a.m.-12 p.m. | W. McBee Avenue | Purchase featured items from vendors to earn raffle tickets + enter to win different prizes — see the full list of items. 🎟️
- $5 Mimosas | 8 a.m.-12 p.m. | E. McBee Avenue | Toast to 20 years of the TD Market. 🥂
- Free Yoga | 8-8:45 a.m. | W. McBee Avenue | Celebrate the market’s 20-year stretch with some meditation.
- Vendor demonstrations | Times vary | W. McBee Avenue | Catch demos from Reedy River Farms at 9 a.m., Tryon Mountain Farms at 10 a.m. + Donovan Pottery at 11 a.m.
Here’s to you, TD Saturday Market. You don’t look a day over 20.