Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these GVL spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Swamp Rabbit Cafe & Grocery, 205 Cedar Lane Rd. | Don’t make the mistecc(a) of not stocking up on sustainably sourced snacks, coffee + smoothies, and sandwiches for the morning departure.
- Pita House, 495 S. Pleasantburg Dr. | Switch up your road trip snack routine with international sweet treats like Turkish Delights and baklava.
- Methodical Coffee, The Commons, 147 Welborn St., Ste. b3 | Grab a Creamy Cold Brew or Chai Latte slushie for the road + a bag of Blue Boy to make in your Airbnb.
- Bonus: Grab a fun road trip game or craft at ReCraft Creative Reuse Center (525 Haywood Rd.) + peep some Off The Grid Greenville Snack recs.
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- North Hills Automotive, 1428 Augusta St. + 1250 E. Butler Rd.
- WN Watson Tire & Automotive, 333 W. Broad St.
- Smith-Davidson Automotive, 1168 Woodruff Rd.
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few:
- Dog Culture, 627 W. Washington St.
- The Noble Dog Hotel, 1320 Hampton Ave Ext., Ste. #8
- Fur Babies Pet Resort, 308 Woods Lake Rd.