YMCA of Greenville is so much more than a gym, an afterschool program or a place for children to learn a new sport. YMCA of Greenville is a cause-driven organization with a focus on social responsibility, youth development and healthy living. These areas drive the work of the Y and have led to the implementation of programs that help community members reach their full potential. The list below is just a snapshot of how the Y works to build healthy bodies, minds and spirits for all in Greenville.
1. They run a statewide program that cultivates young people’s interest in democracy. Youth in Government, or YIG, is a 30-year-old program in 18 middle and 36 high schools across the state that develops youth leadership, civil discourse and civic engagement.
2. They provide R.E.C.E.S.S. to adults with diverse abilities. R.E.C.E.S.S., or Recreation, Education, Community, Exercise, Social and Service, provides services for young adults who have aged out of other community programs. They have the opportunity to learn important life skills, volunteer and connect with friends.
3. They have overnight family camps. Camp Greenville hosts camps for children on the Autism Spectrum called Spectrum Camps, and Stargazer Camps for children with Down Syndrome and their families.
4. They help teens achieve their goals. Their Teen Achievers program helps high school students in four Greenville high schools reach their goal of graduation and transitioning to secondary education.
5. They are changing the lives of people living with Parkinson’s. Led by certified instructors, the Wellness Works Rx Parkinson’s Program is designed to empower people with Parkinson’s disease to optimize their physical function and help delay the progression of symptoms.
6. They know how fun it is to be on two wheels, so they want to make sure everyone gets a chance. The I CAN BIKE program teaches individuals with diverse abilities to ride a bike over the course of five days and become lifelong independent riders.
7. They will personalize your workout. The Wellness Works program is a free measurable, personalized wellness program available to all YMCA members, 13-years-old and older. The program includes a private fitness assessment with a Wellness Works coach, a custom fitness plan tailored to your goals, nutritional advisement and ongoing coaching as you track your progress. And, there’s an app. ActivTrax allows you to track your workouts and meals and provides video instructions of each exercise.
8. They go above and beyond to make the summer camp experience safer for children. The YMCA’s Camp Greenville has a new state-of-the-art health facility staffed by Greenville Health System nurses. The GHS Health Hut ensures that campers have the best of care, for knee scrapes or homesickness to the daily management of diabetes and asthma.
9. They run the only nationally accredited after-school center program in Greenville. The YMCA Judson Community Center provides day, after school and summer care for families in the Hollis Academy neighborhood.
10. They have a beautiful new outdoor educational space. The Duke Energy Outdoor Classroom at the Caine Halter Family YMCA sits by the Reedy River and provides a beautiful space for groups to be surrounded by nature while learning the effects of urbanization on our waterways.