It’s no secret that we love our community, so we came up with a few ways we can all rally together (even when we’re far apart) during this difficult time for many of our neighbors.
Here are five easy ways to give back to our community that accommodate for social distancing + quarantine.
○ Donate to a local food pantry – Harvest Hope has an Amazon wish list that allows purchases to be made online and sent directly to their door. Loaves & Fishes also accepts Amazon shipments of non-perishable food items to their location. Update, at this time the Amazon Pantry is temporarily closed, but they are working to make products available so they can reopen for orders. Mill Village Farms has also established a COVID-19 Emergency Food Fund that delivers healthy food boxes to families in need.
○ Donate blood – With increased hospitalizations and medical procedures, there is currently a severe blood shortage. Make an appointment with The Blood Connection or the American Red Cross to donate blood and help save a life.
○ Foster or adopt an animal – Working from home? Four legged friends make the best coworkers. Consider adopting or fostering a pet from Greenville County Animal Care.
○ Volunteer your time – Meals on Wheels of Greenville is looking for volunteers to “adopt a route” and call clients on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For details, contact their Volunteer Services Team. Residents interested in volunteering can also stay up-to-date on local opportunities through the United Way of Greenville County’s Hands on Greenville webpage.
○ Donate to a local nonprofit – One option is the One SC Fund – established by the Central Carolina Community Foundation – which was recently activated and is accepting donations to support statewide COVID-19 relief efforts. The United Way of Greenville County has also partnered with local organizations to launch the COVID-19 Community Relief Fund.
○ Bonus – Thank a health-care provider for their continued sacrifice to our community – chances are they’re risking their own health and safety to treat others.