It’s officially thankful season, and while many folks are passionate about giving back to the city that has given them so much, it’s often hard to decide what exactly they want to participate in – given the hundreds of opportunities in Greenville. Well, why not start by using what you love to help others?
We’ve made it easy to turn your passions into a gift to others by putting together this volunteer guide catered to specific interests. From foodies to those passionate about the outdoors, we’ve rounded up opportunities for everyone.
🦃 If the holidays are your favorite time of the year
○ Meals on Wheels Greenville has launched “Giving Tuesday” – a holiday donation drive to help provide nutritious meals + special holiday gifts to Greenville’s homebound population. Donate here. You can also purchase MOW holiday cards from local artist Lacey Hennessey here.
○ Sponsor a family for the Holiday Season with The Family Effect.
🥪 Is food your love language?
○ Donate funds, food, or your time to Loaves & Fishes to help feed the hungry. You can also bid on one of eight pup sculptures designed by local architecture + design firms in their Puppy Pow Wow: Auction for a Good Paws.
🌟 If you love a wish list
○ Miracle Hill Ministries has fewer in-person volunteer options right now, but they are looking for volunteers to provide each “guest” who stays in their Upstate shelters with a wish list bag at Christmas time. Give here.
🥁 If toys light up your life
○ Country Santa is looking for volunteers to help bag, move, and deliver toys across the Upstate.
○ The Greer Police Department is accepting donations for Cops for Tots to help struggling families in the Greer area during the holidays.
○ United Community Bank will be continuing their annual Angel Tree Program + providing Christmas gifts to local children. Note: Because of COVID-19, the program is accepting only gift cards and monetary donations this year.
💚 Advocates of mental illness + health awareness
○ Good listeners are needed at Mental Health Association of Greenville County to volunteer with their CRISISline and TEENline. MHA also has their annual Operation Santa Drive coming up which provides health and hygiene gift bags to mental health centers. See the list of items needed here.
💙 If you want to be there for abuse victims
○ The Julie Valentine Center is always looking for volunteers + donors, plus help completing their wishlist. You can also purchase a piece of jewelry created by llyn strong fine art jewelry to support the center.
○ You can volunteer your time or resources at Pendleton Place to help create safe, stable homes for local children and families.
🏠 If you want to stay in your home
○ The American Red Cross is looking for disaster relief donations for safe shelter, hot meals, care, and comfort for people who have lost everything to a disaster. You can also take online health + safety training courses (like CPR) here.
😷 If you’re interested in healthcare
○ With increased hospitalizations and medical procedures, there is currently a blood shortage. Make an appointment with The Blood Connection or the American Red Cross to donate blood and help save a life.
🐶 Animal lovers
○ Do you have a passion for animals? Become a volunteer with Greenville County Animal Care + help build a positive experience for animals seeking homes.
○ If you prefer your critters a little on the wild side, consider getting involved with Wildlife Rehab of Greenville. Volunteers must be 18 or older.
🌳 The outdoorsy types
○ While you can participate in Mill Village Farms’ Culinary Concert on Dec. 10 from the comfort of your own home, you can also volunteer for farm work, FoodShare distribution, or to help out with their youth programs.
🇺🇸 Supporting veterans today + everyday
○ The Palmetto State Chapter of Folds of Honor works to provide educational support to spouses + children of America’s fallen and disabled service members. Learn more about their mission and donate here.
🍎 Natural-born teachers + mentors
○ Become a mentor with Mentor Upstate and help local children by cultivating positive, real one-on-one relationships.
○ Sign up to coach a team or volunteer with Girls on the Run Upstate SC.
○ Empower students to reach their full potential through Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Upstate.
🔨 The handymen + women
Don’t see anything that fits your interests? Check out VolunteerMatch – a resource that helps you find local volunteer opportunities suited to your preferences.