We’ve all been told at some point that we need to eat more veggies — and thanks to the growing popularity of vegan and vegetarian diets, it’s now easier than ever to actually do it.
The demand for meatless options has increased so much that even chains known for their meaty menus (KFC, Carl’s Jr. + even Burger King) have begun offering plant-based alternatives. Here in GVL, a number of restaurants + vendors have opened up that are 100% meat-free.
Meat lovers — don’t run away just yet. To prove that plant-based meals aren’t a big mis-steak, we put together a list of 15 spots for both seasoned vegans + veggie-curious carnivores.
100% plant-based spots
- The Herbal Farmercy, 3795 E. North St. | For those pursuing a vegan lifestyle, this vegan meal prep service + dine-in spot offers a menu that changes weekly.
- Kuka Juice, 580 Perry Ave. | In addition to its large selection of juices, this juicery offers several plant-based salads + paninis.
- Naked Vegan, 311A McAlister Rd. | This locally + Black-owned spot offers Southern comfort food without the meat.
- Southern Pressed Juicery, 2 W Washington St. | Our fave smoothie is the Little Palm Island — or if you prefer a fork over a straw, order the Pad Thai Zoodles.
- Sun Belly Cafe, 1409 W Blue Ridge Dr. | Healthy meal prep made daily — featuring a selection of breakfast, lunch + dinner options. The colorful summer dishes look *chef’s kiss.*
- Swad Restaurant, 2348, 1421 Laurens Rd. A | This Indian eatery offers an entirely vegetarian menu, with plenty of vegan, gluten-free and spicy selections, too.
- Tasty As Fit, 3017 Augusta St. | In addition to vegan salads, smoothies, desserts + mains, this convenient “grab-and-go” style store also has plenty of gluten-free selections.
Places that offer vegan dishes
- Biscuit Head, 823 S. Church St., Ste. C | Our eat: The gluten-free + vegan biscuit with house made veggie “chorizo” gravy.
- Cantina 76, 103 N. Main St. | Our eat: The veggie taco — with veggie refried beans, pico, lettuce, grilled onions, cheese + chipotle ranch. Make it vegan by opting out of the cheese + ranch.
- Farm Fresh Fast, 823 S. Church St. | Between the Backyard “Bacon” Burger, the No Kill Stirfry, and the Sloppy Joe — we don’t know that we could choose just one.
- Purple International Bistro & Sushi, 933 S. Main St. | Believe it or not, vegetarian and vegan sushi is out there, and it’s delicious. Try out Purple International Bistro & Sushi’s vegetable rolls.
- Jī-Rōz | 644 N. Main St. #100 | Our eat: The Vegetarian Gyro — with eggplant, zucchini, potato, onion + tomato. It comes with feta + tzatziki sauce, but you can make it vegan upon request.
- green fetish, 301 E McBee Ave. | Our eat: The buddha’s feast has our heart with its sweet gochujang tofu + spicy roasted chickpeas.
- Mellow Mushroom | 1 Augusta St. | Our eat: So many veg options here. Can’t go wrong with a pizza with an assortment of veggies — just sub the cheese for their vegan cheese + ask them to make it vegan.
- Roost | 220 N. Main St. | Our eat: The Vegetable Curry Bowl — with coconut curry, garden vegetables, + basmati rice. We also recommend adding tofu.
- Saffron Indian Cuisine | 1178 Woodruff Rd., #16 | Our eat: The Allo Gobhi — with cauliflower + potatoes cooked with onion, green peppers, tomato, herbs + spices. For more options, peep the vegan/vegetarian section of their menu.
- Tropical Grille | Multiple locations | Our eat: The Vegetarian Bowl — with black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream + cheddar cheese served over a yellow rice. Skip the sour cream + cheese to make it vegan.
Disclaimer: This is by no means a definitive list, just some of our favorites. If there is a restaurant or a dish that makes you say “kale yeah,” lettuce know.