#DYK that June is Pride Month nationwide? 🏳️🌈
Pride Month provides those who identify as LGBTQ+ and their allies the opportunity to protest peacefully + raise awareness about the issues this community is facing. It also, in part, commemorates the Stonewall Uprising that happened in 1969.
If you’re looking to educate yourself about LGBTQ+ issues, learning about Stonewall is a good place to start. But there’s a lot more to take in about LGBTQ+ history, discrimination, rights, and the evolution of the cultural acceptance and understanding of LGBTQ+ people.
Whether you identify as LGBTQ+ or not, we’ve put together some resources you can utilize to further support these members of our community + learn more.
LGBTQ+ owned business to support in Greenville
○ Modal (a modern hostel coming to Augusta Road this year)
○ Savereign (a boutique plant store in the Village of West Greenville)
○ Bar Margaret (restaurant in the Village of West Greenville)
○ Oak & Honey (“local fare + craft cocktails”)
○ Uptown Company (“creative catering, from table to tap”)
○ Skyfish Design (“imaginative yet down-to-earth interiors + organization”)
○ My PR Lab (a public relations + event management firm)
Additionally, you can look for #BraveTheRainbow window clings at your fav local businesses as a show of public support for the LGBTQ+ community. Are you a local business owner that wants to be a part of this initiative? Click here to email Upstate Pride SC to find out how you can participate.
Reading lists from M. Judson Booksellers
M. Judson Booksellers has “LGBTQ – Pride Month Reads” reading lists for both adults + young adults that aim to provide dialogue, stories + conversations about the LGBTQ+ community and social justice. Click here to shop these reads on Bookshop or call (864) 603-2412 to see if they have the book you’re interested in in-stock.
Typical Pride Month celebrations have looked a little different this year because of COVID-19, but here are a few things to put on your calendar.
○ National HIV Testing Day is June 27. In observance of this day, the New Horizon Family Health Services’ Ryan White Program team is holding an HIV Education & Prevention Day that is open to the community on Friday (June 26) from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at their office on Faris Road.
○ Follow Upstate Pride SC on Instagram for updated weekly virtual events + their Queer Coffee and Conversation Series.
○ Click here for a list of churches in the Upstate who are welcoming to members of the LGBTQ+ community.
This is by no means a comprehensive guide to LGBTQ+ resources in our community. We are still listening + learning and working to facilitate positive conversations about our diverse and vibrant community. Did we miss something? Have questions? Let us know here.